S A T H A B I S H E K A M
I respect six types of persons, namely one who donates food daily, young person performing 'agni-hotra', who fasts every month, a pativrataa woman, expert on vedanta and one who has seen 1000 new moons.
This Shatabishekam ceremony is performed for a person on his completing 80 years, 8 month and 8 days. This marks the occasion when life has been lived fully and fruitfully. This ceremony is also repeated on completion of 100 years. We also perform this when a son is born for one Grandson's birth. for long life. health. etc.
function is called sahasrachandra darsana santhy (who saw 1000 times 3rd
day (munram piray) moon
1) Brahma in his five appearances (namely Prajapathy; Hiranyagarbha; Parameshtee; Chathurmukha and Brahma)
2) Shiva, (mruthyunjaya rudra)
3) Vishnu (laksmy narayanar)
4) Navagraha (sun, moon, mars, mer, jup ,ven, sat, rahu, kethu)
5) Seven 'chiranjevies' (immortal souls), namely... 1) aswathama 2) mahabalai 3) veda vyasa 4) hanuman 5) vibheshana 6) krupacharya and 7) parasurama
6) Aayur devathas. God of the life
8 dik palakas. Gods for directions. These are: indra;
agny; yama; niruruthy; varuna; vayu; kubera; esana, etc.
This function is performed to father or grand-father by son ,daughter, grandson, relations. It is one of the sacred duty of the children to arrange this for the elders.
© 2016 Copyright Subhakariam. All rights reserved.